Monday 1 December 2008

Attack of the Lesbian Clones

A friend recently sent me a link to the Stuff Lesbians Like blog, which seeks to steer away from all those flannel-wearing stereotypes (not that there is anything wrong with them!) and create a new list of stuff that well, lesbians like.

A funny little piece is called "Dyke-a-Likes", which claims that we date people who are clones of ourselves, at least in the fashion sense. Matching hairstyles, jeans and tank tops anyone? Apparently if we're in an good ole butch/femme relationship then we coordinate clothing. And if we're not in a relationship, we seek out friends that are "Dyke-a-Likes".

With my own friend circle, I would say a definite no. None of us are clones. On a superficial level, none of us dress alike. However, with my girlfriend, I suppose we are into coordinating; I'll wear a red skirt and she'll wear a red tie. Or we both wear black and fade into the night. jk.

Looking around at girls' events such as Bitch and Moist, I cannot help but think that "Dyke-a-Like" friend circles do exist.

Does that apply to you? Do you and your girlfriend and/or friends dress, act and look alike?

Why does this happen? Is it because our wardrobes get doubled? Or are we are just narcisstic?

- C

4 comments:

  1. Ok so I can see that this may be point for discussion. I agree that dyke-a-like circles may exist, especially the sporty-a-likes or the femme-a-likes etc. People tend to gravitate towards like minded gals with similar interests etc. I however cannot imagine dating someone who dressed and looked like me. In fact I would find it quite un-nerving to jump into bed with a chick who was 'just like me'...and I am not sure that the mechanics of what would follow sexually would work either!! Not to mention that I am attracted to women who look nothing like me...probably because I would never date me...but I know women who, if given the chance, would date themselves...now there's a point for discussion...ewww!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. last night i went out to the bank. i wore a white singlet and threw some wax in my bleached blonde, roughly-cut hair. seems like everyone else did the same. i looked around the dance floor and thought, oh my god. i look like everyone here.

    while i don't really look like my friends, i do look like the other dykes in my community. so the question is - how much of our personal expression is a product of our identity, and how much does our community influence that identity?

    not sure, but next time i'm wearing a nun costume or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This i can relate to...

    This Dyke-a-Like business stems from people trying to identify with their sexuality.

    There are 'looks' that are completely lesbian orientated.

    You can pretty much pick a smokin hot lesbian out of any crowd because of the way she looks and i can bet my life that she found that look from another smokin hot lesbian in another bar, and so on and so on. It is a vicious cycle, until every lesbian in bars across the country look the same.

    We should call it the lesbian coat of arms..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post on attack on lesbian attack ..

    ReplyDelete